Thursday, October 6, 2016

Vacation to Vacation

9/30 - 1:16pm

I love recovering from vacation with vacation. 

Okay, let me just first get this out there, I am working like crazy and insanely thankful that work is busy for me, and will work until 3:30-4am a couple nights a week, so its not all fairies and unicorns over here, like when you see those peoples posts on Instagram where it looks like they won the lottery and every second of every day is perfect golden rays of hipster sunshine.  That said, this is as pretty darn close to heaven as I could imagine it for someone who still has to work to make money and pay bills and stuff.  How fortunate I am to be able to work from anywhere in the world.

Another quick side note, last week Mic Cameron and crew over at Pirate Life Brewing shipped over 4 cases of mind blowing craft beer to which I have been sustaining life off of since they arrived, and have one on ice waiting for me the second I finish this afternoon espresso.  Not sure what it takes to ship that much beer across the sea, but I am eternally grateful and so is everyone I am sharing it with here in Italy.

So yesterday we went to Gubbio with the Stoniers and the Camerotas just 30 minutes south east from us where we met Giovani and his beautiful wife Lucia who are the most lovely Italians that Mickey & Karen had met on the train when they were heading up from Rome their first day in.  They live in Gubbio and Lucia’s family has lived there for centuries.  We had an amazing 3 course rustic style lunch at one of their friends restaurants then walked the town with Giovani as our tour guide giving us the history.  Thousands of years of history here in this little town.  After the tour we swung by his little pub that he owns at the base of the village, had a quick pint with plans to visit them again soon and were back home for some much needed downtime before we went into Montone for our second visit to the Michelan Star dream restaurant.  Again we were floored by the food, and again we ordered a bottle of the 2009 Poggio Di Sotto Brunello, and again it left me the opposite of speechless (I actually couldn’t shut up about how incredible this wine was).  An most perfect way to celebrate life with family.

I almost forgot, on Wednesday we went to Montepulciano, one of our most favorite towns for lunch and some wine tasting, and reconnected with Jenny who had done a wine tasting for us at Poliziano 5 years ago.  She at the time had been in Tuscany for only a year and was writing a memoir about her story being an American from New York trying to adjust to her new life in Italy.  We had a great time drinking wine with her and will be seeing here again soon, strangely for sushi.

After that we headed into Cortona for dinner at La Bucaccia where Shi and I had a romantic date 4 years earlier (the Roman road runs right through the restaurant) and the food was beautiful, paired with back to back bottles of Avvoltore a Super Tuscan that I could have every day for the rest of my life.

I am sitting here recapping the past week and am even more appreciative than I was gluttonous (which is A LOT).  Thank you Italy.  It’s time for that beer!...oh wait, Shi just walked outside with an Aperal Spritz - guess that’s happening too.


No comments:

Post a Comment