Thursday, October 6, 2016

Chianti

10/3 - 2:29pm

I think if I were reading this blog, by now I’d be like, “okay I get it, you do really cool stuff every day, you drink great wine and eat amazing food, give me something new.”  I’m sorry to say it’s just more of the same.  On Friday we did my favorite of all plans, no plans.  Went for a swim, wine by the pool, then carne asada tacos for dinner.  Don’t get me wrong, I love adventures and excursions, but sometimes you just need a day of nothingness, and for me, I need those at least once a week or I start to become a bit like Jack from the Shinning.

That might have been a bit over dramatic, but anyway, I got my rest, so on Saturday I was sane enough for a family outing to Perugia where we had a proper Italian lunch followed by gelatos, and of course, my favorite part was forgetting where we parked the car and wandering the outskirts of the massive hilly town for an hour carrying heavy groceries after I’d worked out legs that morning.  Awesome!  The day was saved by coming home to the intoxicating smell of 9lbs of heavenly pork shoulder that had been braising since 10am in IPA and glory.  We set fire to wood, pulled the pork, slathered it in homemade BBQ sauce, and grilled to Phil’s BBQ perfection.  The Camerotas joined us for an evening of feasting and games until I was stolen away at 10:15 to watch the Giants must win game against the Dodgers (I’m so lame, I know) - but we WON!

Oh and then there was Chianti.  We packed into the car for a 2 hour trek into the heart of Chianti for a full day of wine tasting and eating...until we remembered upon arrival that they are all closed on Sunday.  Genius.  Strangely enough, it turned into an even better day than planned.  We had lunch in Volpaia (the same tiny hilltop town we saw Jamie Oliver in 5 years ago) and my Tuscan soup might have been the best thing I’d eaten all year (okay, it really wasn’t now that I’ll thinking of all the food we’ve had, but no joke when you eat a Tuscan Soup in Tuscany and while you’re eating it you’re thinking “this is Tuscany in a bowl” you get pretty excited).  From there it was off to a boutique hotel/castle Castelvecchi that has it’s own winery (so because they were a hotel they couldn’t be closed on Sunday) and rather than doing a wine tasting we just got a bottle of the most insane Chianti I’ve ever had (and that's true - Madonnino Della Pieve Chianti Classico Gran Selezione) along with some complimentary snacks from the on site chef (best duck pate I’ve ever had - also a true statement) and played cards in the empty courtyard.  It was as if we owned the entire property.  After our second bottle and a complimentary dessert we explored the grounds, zipped over to Radda for a coffee then drove 90% of the way home to Citerna for dinner at a cozy/quaint popping restaurant that overlooked the night-lights of Sansepolcro.  The Branzino was as perfect as they come and everyone else was obsessed with their own dishes too.  At the end of the night Shiloh and I agreed to repeat this entire day again soon.

Giants final must win game of the season...we win 7-1 and Vin Scully retires.  What a day!

And what do you know, it’s Monday, and I am getting another day of no plans.  Played some kickball with the kids, went to the gym with Boppa, played guitar with Brody, and am drinking a Pirate Life Pale Ale karate chopping the keyboard writing this blog.  So, sorry to let you down, but it’s just more of the same, and the same is pretty darn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment